I recently fitted a B17S (ladies standard) Brooks saddle to my Brompton, and these are my initial thoughts:
- It looks great. It’s very British, like the bike, and seems in keeping with it. The caramel colour looks like it will age nicely too.
- Having to put the special cream on the underside is a pain, but I suppose it’s necessary, and if I do it then it will last for many years.
- It’s very slippery. This shouldn’t have come as a surprise, but I was shocked at just how slippery it was to sit on. I’m hoping it will stop being so slippery as it ages and fits to my bum.
- Having my sit bones properly supported doesn’t half make my girly bits feel better.
- Not sure how or when to do the tightening up bit as it stretches but I am sure this will become obvious in time.
Five miles is not enough time in the saddle to write a review, so these thoughts are my initial, single ride, impressions only.
My father absolutely swore by his Brooks saddle and I never saw him cycle with anything else. The same saddle went on every bike he owned, and I mean the same saddle, not the same kind, or model, but the actual same saddle, and for more than 15 years I can remember. My dad rode his bike daily to work and back, in all weathers, and he wouldn’t have anything else. Which is the reason I got one for my Brompton. Let’s hope dad had something there and wasn’t just a devil for punishment.